First Post

Cows/Agriculture make up 20.4% of the reason for the rapid rate of climate change. I eat chicken, pork, and beef very often and contribute to this high demand meat products. If I cut out majority of meat from my life I know that I would be reducing methane that goes into our world. Methane absorbs the heat from the sun, which inherently warms the atmosphere, which makes it a green house gas(1). I would reduce the number of greenhouse gases. From Schafer, 2013 he states that “measures methane emissions from cows separately because the gas is considered 25 times more harmful than CO2.” Meaning that cows gases that they release cause more harm than CO2 to our environment. Which is why they have such a negative impact greenhouse on climate change. Not only does agriculture pollute the air but it also pollutes our water. From Robertson, 2002 it states that “manure, fertilizers, ammonia, pesticides, livestock waste, oil, toxins from farm equipment, soil and sediment” runoff go into our lakes, rivers, and oceans and pollutes the water. Cutting meat out of my diet for 5 days of the week will greatly reduce my carbon footprint on methane by 70%(2).

This topic relates to food because I am changing my diet in order to reduce my carbon footprint. This topic could also be compared to the water topic for two reasons. As previously stated Agriculture contributes to water pollution, all of the chemicals used runoff into our water which makes it habitable for aquatic life(3). On top of that, we only have 2% of drinking water available to the whole world. In countries, we already have problems were people do not have drinkable water available for them. The Website global culture “69% of the world’s freshwater withdrawals are committed to agriculture... 12% of water withdrawals are destined for households and municipal use.” The amount of water that farms use is insane. We are prioritizing a luxury over a necessity and in the future, we are all going to be regretting that(4).

My first week of going vegetarian was surprisingly difficult. I never noticed how much meat my family consumes until I am the one watching them eat it all. As someone who has been eating meat her whole life, this switch is making me test my ability to resist meats. On my first day, my family baked a pizza, but they got pepperoni pizza. So I had to pick the pepperoni off of my slices in order to keep up with my vegetarian diet. It was very sad, a very low moment in my life. After that depressing meal, my next dinner was pho. One of my favorite foods in the whole world. I am very particular with my pho because I know what I like. I was scared to try the vegetarian option of pho because the broth is made without bone marrow (or something). I actually ended up liking what I ordered and it made me feel a little bit better about this project. So, all in all, I have had my ups, and I have had my downs, but I haven't messed up yet., 



 Luckily I am only doing this "whole vegetarian" thing on the weekdays. But I am nervous about my temptations. When I see my family eat meat around me, I feel as if they're enjoying their meal just a little more than me. So hopefully for the next weeks, I can keep my eyes off of meat until the weekend comes around. During the weekend I don't plan to go out of my way and eat as much meat as I can, but I am planning to enjoy a meal that I would usually have that involves meat.

The main thing motivates me not to eat meat, is knowing what I am doing to the environment (5). I know that me cutting back on meat is going to reduce methane, reduce global warming, reduce water pollution etc. I love the Earth so I will give up something I enjoy to make sure I have Earth to enjoy in the future.



5.https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/18/vegetarianism-save-planet-environment

Comments

  1. I really like that you grounded your habit in why it helps the planet, I think that will make you feel more positive about this habit. "It was very sad, a very low moment in my life." --> YIKES, you've had a great life so far I guess!! Great stuff and stats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your stuggle Tats! I went pescatarian and it was really crappy at first but now I love my veggie goods <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the statistics, you have a clear statement and objective. I think a good suggestion could be being interactive with your audience? Possibly including them in your travels and your experiences. Alike Jerald Flowers post, he joins in the audience by stating, "Who likes vegetarians? They're annoying, pretentious, and always shoving the fact that they're vegetarian in everyone's face. But I'm trying it now." He makes a joke, including the audience but then also creates a clear point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Could you clarify what evidence you're referring to?

      Delete
  5. I'm doing the same thing you are! To add on to how being vegetarian can lower your carbon foot print is that it can cut greenhouse gas emissions by 70%.
    Here's the resource: www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/how-plant-based-diets-can-help-reduce-greenhouse-gas-emissions-by-70-percent/70004227

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, you have strong evidence, clear citations, and engaging visuals. This is dope, I agree with the idea of cutting out meat; but it was often too hard for me to accomplish. Your progress will prove inspirational! Keep it goin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment